Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Who needs sleep?

Ever wondered what it would be like if you really needed some sleep but you just couldn't? Well I'm really lucky. I have never been one of those people. I am a self confessed sleep hog and if I don't get enough sleep then you don't want to anywhere near me. To say I am like a bear with a sore head would be a severe under exaggeration..... I am more like an angry dragon just ready to let off steam.

Night shift at work generally brings out the worst in me and I am currently on night 3 of 5. When I lived with my mum for four months recently before buying my house she was able to observe me sleep deprived and in action. To be absolutely honest Mum found me very difficult in my teens, but that in no way prepared her for my dragon persona. I get very irritated very easily and I have to say Mum used to set me off by being loud through the day when I was trying to sleep and leaving all the doors from the hallway to the living area open so I could hear what was going on even in my sleep. Some comments by her involved her telling visiting friends that I was lazy as I wasn't out of bed yet at 11 am when I had only crawled into bed at 8 am or by telling everyone that6 she had to go out during the day when I was on nights so she wouldn't disturb me. I have to say she got good at being quiet fairly early into my run of nights (usually took about two days of my dragon persona) and I got good at borrowing people's houses and beds who were at work for the day when I was on nights, only with the occasional bit of company before they hopped out of bed....at least the bed was pre-warmed. ;)

What brings me to think about this is that today (or do I mean yesterday as I am writing this at work and it is 0220 am) I had a really crap sleep. I would love to say that my flatmate was noisy and woke me up but hey that was yesterday (or the day before depending on how you look at it, and it wasn't so much that she was noisy but I heard noises in the house after she should have been at work (she was feeling under the weather)), it was because the bloody telephone rang and yep you guessed it, I forgot to unplug the phone beside my bed. This always happens on nights. When do I ever get phone calls at home during the day??? Well at least when I get home this morning I will not forget to unplug the phone. Ok so you may be wondering what this important phone call was about...Well it was someone trying to sell insurance... I didn't let them get far though, my dragon persona came out. I thanked the person for calling and waking me up and proceeded to hang up in their ear, so that was the start to my day at 2pm and I should of at least slept til 5 pm.

This incident reminds me of the last telemarketer who called, rang and asked me a few questions about air quality and put me into a draw to win a grocery voucher. They called back two days later and woke me up. I had been out on the town the night before and was piss crook. At first I was in a good mood thinking I was lucky and had won the one hundred dollar grocery voucher but no, they said I'd won a free carving knife which they would present to me after making an in home presentation on an air filtration system, at this point I told them my time was too valuable to waste for a knife, (unless I was allowed to use it on them maybe???). Ohh yeah when they asked how I was when I answered the phone I did say piss crook...LOL, so they can't have been surprised at my response. In the last ten years I have definitely learn't that the home owner or main bill payer is never home to take the telemaketers call, fortunately for me!

Anyway back to the main topic, my lack of sleep and dragon persona... Well I saw my Mum tonight and had dinner with her (thought I'd better as i hadn't seen her for over a month). I got rung while we were eating dinner (first point of irritation) by my friend Jim, then I couldn't hear what he was saying as his friends in the background were shouting at him "Jim did I tell you...." (second point of irritation, why ring me when you are busy at a mates place, and can't they see he is on the phone to someone???), from what I could hear he didn't want anything except to say "Hi" (third point of irritation, I did say I get easily irritated when I haven't had enough sleep). so I just yell at him why did he bother to call and hang up in his ear. he calls back immeadiately (fourth point of irritation) and I ignore his call and let my answering service pick up. Sweet as I think! Ok he doesn't give up and calls fifteen minutes later (fifth point of irritation), so this time I answer I am being rude and obnoxious. I get off the phone and Mum says "I see your not any better on night shift than usual, just as well you don't do permanent nights. At least I like you the rest of the time". So there you go every cloud has it's silver lining... My mum likes me and that counts for alot I suppose. :P

2 Comments:

At 1:03 AM, Blogger Not Kate said...

I think people interrupting your sleep is an excellent reason to get pissed off! And telemarketers in general are intrusive morons. They probably get used to being abused. And they used those bloody scripts that don't even give you a chance to say 'No thanks', so it's their own fault we have to resort to being rude.....

My friend Ange (Charlie Brown) gets insomnia. That would really really really suck. Some nights she gets no sleep, or two hours or so.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger 5of7 said...

My flatmate Sarah Bear is an insomniac too. Sometimes she doesn't make it to bed and catnaps on the couch, and sometimes she bakes in the middle of the night... No wonder I am getting fat! She is also a compulsive shopper and I am starting to pick up some of her bad habits... ANot to mention the wine ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home